Friday 9 March 2012

Love me - Willy and Ruth

Lieber and Stoller "wrote this as a country music parody and called it the worst song they'd ever written" but then Elvis did it.  http://davidneale.eu/elvis/originals/list6.html
 It was originally recorded in 1954 by Willy and Ruth -


From Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Me_(Leiber/Stoller_song)
"Love Me" is a sentimental song composed by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller and popularized by Elvis Presley in 1956. Conceived as a parody of a country western music, it was initially interpreted by R&B duo Willy and Ruth in 1954 (Spark 105), then by Georgia Gibbs the same year. At the time the authors affirmed that this song was one their worst compositions. Elvis Presley recorded the song on September 1 1956 for his second album, Elvis (RCA Victor, LPM-1382) "


And from the Comeback Special



Robert Plant said in Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers Of All Time issue: "When I met Elvis with Zeppelin, after one of his concerts in the early '70s.......Elvis  asked me, 'Which songs do you sing?' I told him I liked the ones with all the moods, like that great country song 'Love Me' - 'Treat me like a fool/Treat me mean and cruel/But love me.' So when we were leaving, after a most illuminating and funny 90 minutes with the guy, I was walking down the corridor. He swung 'round the door frame, looking quite pleased with himself, and started singing that song: 'Treat me like a fool.' I turned around and did Elvis right back at him."

No comments: