Wednesday 19 January 2011

Fools Fall in Love - The Drifters

In 1966 Presley returned to recording fresh none film tracks and aside from gospel material, turned to the Drifters again for material. Fools Fall in Love was originally recorded by the Drifters in 1957. Another Lieber and Stoller song but not custom written for Elvis.


THE DRIFTERS VERSION



Mike Stoller on the Elvis version
"If I remember correctly, I thought it was in the wrong key I thought it was too high for him. It could have been that he learned it from the Drifters' records, and I think that as sung by Johnny Moore, who had a higher voice. That happened sometimes with Elvis. He'd learn something, and he'd want to do it in the same key that he learned it in. Of course, I'm partial to the Drifters' because we produced it, and we got what we wanted out of the chart and evervthing else."
Source http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/interview_with_mike_stoller.shtml




Elvis Alt take 4

No comments: